Join now - be part of our community!

Is anyone else having trouble with the Sony ILCE-M74 (A7 IV) software upgrade?

profile.country.GB.title
peterduffphotography
Explorer

Is anyone else having trouble with the Sony ILCE-M74 (A7 IV) software upgrade?

Is anyone else having trouble with the Sony ILCE-M74 (A7 IV) software upgrade? The message says to upgrade from Ver 1.01  to Ver1.05 before installing Ver1.10 or you can freeze the camera functions. But there is no link to Ver 1.05?  

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
DavidT
Explorer

Yes, I am getting a message"there is no media inserted in slot1 there is no update file in the media, or the file is damaged" I am using 2 brand new cards and they seem to work perfectly well. Help!!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

@DavidT wrote:

Yes, I am getting a message"there is no media inserted in slot1 there is no update file in the media, or the file is damaged" I am using 2 brand new cards and they seem to work perfectly well. Help!!!!!

Make sure you have copied the 1.05 update file to the card (not the 1.10 that you have to use later), and that it is on the root of the card with no other files.

Have you formatted the memory before to start?

profile.country.GB.title
peterduffphotography
Explorer

Sony have now sent an updated version of V1.05 to install but it has to be done via an SD card. (No PC or Mac option).  I tried saving the Download.Dat file to the SD Card but the camera cant find it. I put it in the SD card for D Drive Slot1 as advised but it wil not execute the software update? Any ideas?  

profile.country.GB.title
peterduffphotography
Explorer

I have formtatted the card so it is clean, but cant see how to store it in the 'root'.  The only options I get are  D Drive or PF Home (which is too small).  

profile.country.GB.title
peterduffphotography
Explorer

Frankly I find Sony support hopeless. The online video guide is only for installing via a PC or Mac and you cant get through to them.  

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey peterduffphotography, let's go back a second, what's the current software version on your camera now?

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

@peterduffphotography wrote:

I have formtatted the card so it is clean, but cant see how to store it in the 'root'.  The only options I get are  D Drive or PF Home (which is too small).  

"root" is not the name of a folder, it indicate the main location of your flash drive https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_directory

Just put in to the flash drive, out of any folder

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Mine BODYDATA.DAT is 839.741.848 byte (839,7 MB) (it's the first version, but it should be the same of the second, only 1.10 update is changed)

I'm new to the Sony system, and I'm really struggling with the uneccessary complexities of the updating methods for the A7 IV update - I purchased a Nikon Z9 a month back, and it's needed a similar update... I didn't even have to read what to do, it's so much simpler.  I cannot see anywhere that Sony tell you what the name of the file is, how large it is when fully downloaded, etc.  I'm assuming that that the file is called 'BODYDATA.DAT' and that the full file is '839.7MB' and that I just drag it onto a previously formatted SD card, which I then insert into slot one on the A7 IV... but I really don't want or need a camera which will not function if anything goes wrong... come on Sony, you need to do *MUCH* better (and your camera menus are over complex too - I'm still struggling with the stupid language used to get files to write to Card 2 when Card 1 is full!)

...ha!  Just found the file name and size on the Sony updater webpage, apol's for being so unobservant (caused by frustration!)... file type is 'Movie file'... is that correct...?