Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
julianblack

But what good is a great picture if almost every aspect of the actual TV
operation is total pants?

What about a great picture with out of sync sound?

What about a great picture with no 5.1 audio for Amazon Instant Video?
MaxUHD

@adyjay33 wrote:

IMHO... Look for another brand, these TV's will never be fully fixed, the hardware cant cope, its a dual core struggling to do the job a quad core can do easily and the implimentaion of the software with Android looks like it was written by a three year old as its rubbish. The support is terrible and all you will be asked is to keep factory resetting it thus losing all your custom setup.

You really need only to look at this forum to understand how poor these sets are and how Sony will in my opinion dump them as soon as they have the next generation TV out and anyone with a 2015 model will be stuffed and left to suffer with an unreliable and probably a dangerous TV as it also seems that there are hardware issues too related to the power supplies.

Imagine it coming on by itself as they do and it catches fire, goodbye home and everything because Sony cant build a safe TV.

Dont buy it... you have been warned.

I disagree. It don't think the issues raised here are due to the hardware spec. My 4K KD49X8307CSU runs smooth as silk. I use the Android features and apps extensively and they run fine. I use the YouView fetures without any problems. All I get is some sluggishness on the remote control every 2 or 3 weeks or so and a restart of the TV clears that. So if it was a hardware issue it would affect all TVs and a simple restart wouldn't fix it.

For what its worth; I'm very happy with my TV and I feel it is more of a software/OS issue for those who are affected and, from some of the comments in this thread, those issues don't impact everybody.

alanxce

Lots of opinions being expressed on the forum at the moment so as a satisfied owner I will add mine.

I have had the 55x8509c since mid-November 2015. I had read and digested the posts on this forum beforehand so I had a pretty good idea of what I as getting myself into.

I have installed the updates as they have been issued, on the day of issue,  and not had a problem with any of them. I have never had to resort to a factory reset.

I run a fairly straightforward setup with SkyHD, Blu-Ray player, Sony sound bar  and a 64gb USB memory stick for recording on Freeview which gives me the option of three concurrent recordings. I have only recently tested the recording facility but so far so good with everything behaving as it should after adjusting the start time options.

I don't run YouView so I can't comment on either it's implementation or effect on the TV in general. I had originally planned running a 1Tb hard drive off the HDR USB socket but I couldn't find any info about whether tthe socket was permanently power on so decided against it. I will invest in a 128gb stick and that will more than suffice for my needs.

I have the tv hooked to our broadband via the Ethernet connection into TP Link power line adapters which I would highly recommend. We get a maximum of 16mb/s from BT broadband but I have no problems with buffering or interruptions streaming material from Netflix or Amazon Video and the Ethernet connection has proved very reliable. That includes UHD programs where I thought it may not cope but it does. 

I don't have problems with lip sync and I had only just started to look out for it when they brought out the December update, definitely no problems since then. I am also getting 5.1 on Amazon video which appears to be a problem for some other users.

In the interests of being reqsonably objective I will say there are some operations that don't really fit with my idea of a good user interface, i.e. not as intuitive as I would like. However, this is a tv and what is being presented is the convergence of the needs of a tv user with that of a computer user so I think there is room for a little flexibility and understanding while that situation evolves.

And did I mention the picture? Well, it's outstanding and I have seen no other model in the price range to match it.

I will freely admit there was a time around early January when I was giving consideration to returning the set but I realised my motivation for doing so was what I was reading on this forum and what could happen rather than my actual experience with the tv itself. That moment passed and I would now say  that as long as you are aware of possible limitations with this particular tv then I would highly recommend it. For those who have purchased and are unhappy it seems your only recourse is to return the set as it appears the major firmware upgrades needed to fulfill on the original spec have been implemented. I am guessing that anything else  in this area of any real significance is unlikely until the next Andriod release.

profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

I haven't got 5.1 sound so that doesn't worry me, still my tv wasn't advertised as such. 

frankie1g

How come some get 5.1 amazon and some not

Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

NEW BUG

• Since last update, the Football button on the remote, only produces a "feature not available" error under all modes. I can enable Football mode via the "Action Menu".
Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

Yes I mentioned the football feature bug.
alanxce

55x8509c - football button working no problem.

dataghost
Explorer

Hi All,

Had a reply back from Currys today regarding my complaint against this TV.  Part of the reply advised:

'under your manufacturing warranty you are only covered for mechanical breakdowns.  As you state this is a software issue, we would not be in a position to return your product under them terms.'

I am sure I read somewhere that something has changed and software is now covered?  Can anyone offer some guidance on where I stand with this?

Thanks.

frankie1g

Don't get bogged down with software say not if for purpose 

Sent from my Samsung device