Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@dataghost wrote:

Hi All,

Had a reply back from Currys today regarding my complaint against this TV.  Part of the reply advised:

'under your manufacturing warranty you are only covered for mechanical breakdowns.  As you state this is a software issue, we would not be in a position to return your product under them terms.'

I am sure I read somewhere that something has changed and software is now covered?  Can anyone offer some guidance on where I stand with this?

Thanks.

You aren't claiming under the manufacturing warranty, or you shouldn't be.

You should be claiming under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (As Amended) if you bought before 1 October 2015, or the Consumer Rights Act if you bought on or after that date, See MoneySavingExpert for details.

You need to argue that the set is not of satisfactory quality, or is not fit for purpose, or one of the other grounds there, none of which distinguish between the software and the hardware as the cause of this.

The main reason for mentioning software issues is to head off any discussion about the set going back for repair or you being given a replacement, instead of a refund. Though you could also perhaps mention that the hardware is fundamentally inadequate for the job, if you believe our two-core versus four-core proponents.

(Personally, I don't, as one of these TVs, freshly reset, goes like stuff off a shovel until accumulated cruft in the software slows it down again, but you might).

You were perhaps thinking about the new post-Oct 1 rules for software as a good, not a service, but these do not apply here. And Currys might have a point if you had loaded Kodi and found a bug in it; but if what you bought, a built in-software-driven piece of hardware, does not work satisfactorily as purchased, or as updated to the latest standard by Sony, then your rights stand.

But Currys know all this; either the person who replied is too junior and badly informed to be doing the job, or Currys are yanking your chain.

But be clear about what you want, know your rights, state your grounds for repudiating the item, ensure you are dealing with someone senior enough in Currys to know what's what, and all will go smoothly.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
adyjay33

If you bought this TV after Oct 2015 then software is part of the SOGA and
must be fit for purpose... don't let them fob you off, its got an operating
system and that is covered.

https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/training-knowledge/articles/new-consumer-rights-b2c-transactions/
KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
adyjay33

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/notes

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
john.pringle

@adyjay33 Have you returned your tv?

mark-bo

@Garymjh wrote:

Despite the android issues I would recommend buying one. The picture on a Sony 4k tv is unbeatable, simple as that. Especially the upscaling from 1080p. No other manufacturer comes close to the quality of Sony in my opinion. 

I am surprised at your comments Gary. The replacement 4K Samsung TV I bought (UE55JS8000) because I couldn't stand the stress of the Sony any longer and it had to go back  beats the Sony (KD55X8509C) for picture quality by a long margin. Watching HD channels still amazes me every time I watch TV. The Samsung picture adds a new dimension to watching TV. Blu-ray and 4k from youtube is absolutely stunning.

The samsung also has the added bonus of instant response to the remote command, it only switches itself on or off when I ask it to, never had any lipsync issues and it did everything it was avertised as doing out of the box. Software updates are completed in seconds, HDD recording doesn't need to re format the drive and I can leave it plugged in for pausing live TV, I could go on.

Anybody worried about picture quality and looking for an alternative should give careful considerarion to the 8000 range, Samsung may have had ropey picture quality in the past but they have certainly upped their game. I wanted a quality TV when I bought the Sony but didn't get it, this Samsung shows how it's done.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

The great picture hugely outweighs the niggles on the android system for me. And despite the length of this thread,I think that's the case with the vast majority of people who've bought a Sony android tv.  I wonder if there's a chance that Sony could offer an optional completely new os which simply offers smart apps and gets rid of the android os. 

profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

The standard tv guide needs to be modified so that it will search page at a time rather than having to go one program at a time which takes for ever

profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

Yes since the last update my TV seems pretty stable, I did once have a situation where the TV stopped responding to the remote but when I pressed the TV button everything immediately started to work again.

I think like someone else here said I was more fearfull of what I was reading here than I was actually experiencing.

Just to add my thoughts on an issue that keeps rearing it's head, I think the dual core quad core issue is misleading, I've just replaced my HP dual core PC for a newer HP core i5 both running identical software and in real world use the difference is not really that great.

I'm starting to feel a little more confident now that Sony might just be able to retrieve the situation, take note Sony I hope it's not wishfull thinking.

profile.country.GB.title
paulryan37

the standard tv guide needs to be enabled to search by page at a time rather than 1 program at a time which takes forever

profile.country.GB.title
Batemansxxxb
Explorer

I agree with the above comment about the freeview TV guide,I would also like to see the removal of the requirement to use youview to be able to access on demand services,such as BBC Iplayer etc

After current updates the remote control becomes unresponsive & takes 3 presses of the power button for the TV (kdl50w805) to respond,as was the case with previous software updates, which require the tv to be rebooted to rectify this,