Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi Guys and girls... Well I recently got off the phone to a guy called Ali at Sony UK tech support as I live in West London.

And he has informed me in the next coming weeks this will be a new update and most likely be a new build number or PKG number. He has also informed me that this update will sort out all the problems and bugs.

I must have spent around 30min on her phone expressing how badly Sony had executed this update and how badly and very disappointed with their total lack of customer relations with this matter.

He had told me their will be a press update via the Sony website regarding the up and coming new Marshmellow Mk2 update according to internal communications.

We shall see..

I am one of the fortunate one were the recently update worked fine on my KD-43X8307 2015 model.

I said to Ali yes this is great news but it's just a little bit to late as most people will remember this and never buy a Sony TV agian and will just jump ship to a Samsung or Panasonic next time they upgrade. I told Ali that the damage has already been done.

I have a few snags on my TV but otherwise I am very happy with the update that I did on launch day via USB stick and factory reset.

Lets see what happens something tell me and I told Ali that Sony better get this wright this time round.. They already have bad press regarding this issue and Sony are about to realise in a matter of weeks their 3rd Generation Andriod 2017 range.

I got a feeling some heads have rolled at their HQ..

So let's see what happens keep and eye out over the coming weeks.

I also said what did their TV Audio division not take note on how Sony mobile division handled the new Andriod Nugart update.

I own a Xperia Z5 and when Sony realised it back in February their were reports within the first week.
Sony then stopped the rollout communicated this via the Web and with in a few weeks sorted out all the issues and resumed the Nugart rollout.

My Xperia Z5 has never worked better and I realy happy with the preformance.. So Sony should act in the same manner with there TV division just something I was discussing with Ali at Sony UK tech support this afternoon.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 smartphone
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

He has also informed me that this update will sort out all the problems and bugs.

I said to Ali yes this is great news but it's just a little bit to late

That's what their support has kept telling people for the past year or so. Next firmware will fix everything... hah... of course...

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Totaly agree 👍 proof will be in the pudding let's see what happens.

But yes the more we all kick off about this issue the better..

BBC watchdog or tech magazines.. Ect

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

No one has any idea how widespread the problem(s) are. A handful of people
on a forum does not make a crisis. My tv and two other people I know with
Sony tv's updated with no problems at all. That doesn't prove anything
either. I will agree that Sony's almost total silence on the update is
shockingly poor however.
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Very true but for Sony to pull the update within a handful of days of launch day completely something must of gone badly wrong. Other wise if it was just a handful of people around Europe they would deal with those issues directly with the customer and not pull the update completely that's why it must be a serious problem surely.....

profile.country.GR.title
MeReNdAs69
Explorer

Ok.. 15 days after usb update, my TV makes fun of me....

The Remote control works whenever it likes and for selected/random buttons each time. More often working buttons are Vol Up/Vol Down..Vol Up significant more often. 

Every other button working time is just random. Started from  the "cross" where the up/down worked but left/right not. The problem with these buttons excisted with last firmware, but in a less often manner. Just for 5 to 10 minutes in a whole week, these two with Discover and Action Menu buttons used to stop working and coming alive again.

I have only tried soft resets.

In ver5 didn't have any impact at all. In ver6 seems to work out, but yet the chances that the remote works in order to soft reset the TV. are reaching zero!

I have a Riitek mini i8 bluetooth controler that works without problems (except its own bugs and minimal actions that can do)

Trying to figure out if this is some kind of IR related problem with the TV receiver.

Not so sure at all anymore about hard reseting the TV. Afraid of making more bad than good, as I don't have realized any other of the above problems.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Exchange batteries?

profile.country.GR.title
MeReNdAs69
Explorer

the time I changed them it did help. But after a few hours unfortunately started again

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

@angelacr wrote:

@Mooly01

"This is why I just wonder how much of an issue this Marshmallow update really is in terms of numbers affected. No consolation to those experiencing issues I know, but it would be interesting to know more."

Remember, if you come late to the party you won't know what has gone on before. Some of us go back to early 2015. Marshmallow may be an improvement but the current Android version is Nougat: the current security patch is March 2017. I hate to think what security bugs are in my TV's software.

My TV will not factory reset; it just restarts and carries on as normal. I cannot engage standby. Well, I can, in the sense that  the machine stands by, but wake-up causes it to reboot every time. And if you've tried talking to Sony Support you'll know that you can get more help from a 5 year old child and you come off the phone wondering why you ever bothered. I've concluded that must be their plan; they are a large corporation; they know what they do.

As of this moment my DNS server has provided 4,070 lookups today. My Sony TV in standby waiting to crash when I switch it on has requested 2673 of those lookups. And yes my machine is using the latest Marshmallow I loaded from USB. So am I happy with Sony TV division? No. But if you think the sun shines from Sony, I'm very pleased for you.

I'm not saying they don't have their problems (so to do other manufacturers), I was more on a fishing expedition (for my own curiosity) to try and get some idea of how widespread this latest issue was. Having your TV effectively 'bricked' by a software update is as bad as gets imo...... but how many have been put in that position.

Thats the big question. 

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Marcd51 wrote:

And he has informed me in the next coming weeks this will be a new update and most likely be a new build number or PKG number. He has also informed me that this update will sort out all the problems and bugs.

yeah..... PKG# 1st.of.04

And android version will be Aprilili