Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Okay , That’s a fair point . And a true comment but as we all know Sony does not seem to work logically.

But yes as to your point the way things are now present time Sony must ..must get Marshmallow under full control quite a few heads must have rolled when Sony pulled the update only after a few days it was out .

I was one of the ones were the updates went pretty well and my TV more or less works 100% . I still also have a few snags here and their but nothing like what has been reported .

If Sony or their TV/Audio development cant get this update correct this time round then this must raise a lot more questions which means does sony start thinking long team and ditch the Android platform and just concentrate on developing their own OS like LG web Os or Samsung Tizen or Panasonics firefox OS ...mmm

>From my point I really hope not . Yes we have all suffered with this.

Personally and my opinion Android TV should be the best by far out the lot period !! Its a fantastic planform yes it has bugs and issues so do mobile phones that run Android Platform.

Sony just needs real developers in to get this correct . Sony create some of the very best tech out their and Sony have the best TV designs on the market their motion Flow tech is just awesome their hardware has to the best out there just edging over Samsung wright now so they are going to let this all down because they cant get the software working correctly its just crazy !

I have owned a lot of Sony products over the years as well as other brands but the Sony I know many years ago had quality premium and I was quite happy to pay that bit extra for it this is the first time in over 10 years that I have to question Sony integrity over this issue .
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sony TV department has 0 money. They can't work logacially, but only minimalistically.

The problem is not Google, but Sony and MediaTek who don't get it right. Sony doing an own OS would probably be a total disaster. Just look at their Live TV implementation...

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

I do have one question if MediaTek are that crap why don’t Sony go to QUALCOMM and Qualcom can create a bespoke Snapdragon chipset for Sony Android TV .After all Snapdragon powers pretty much every phone on the Market surely I would have thought this would have been a far better choice for Sony to have made .

Qualcom are making some of the very best chipset now 835 for the Xperia Range the only other chipset would be Samsung but that’s theirs .

If their are compatibility issues just drop MediaTek .

Any thoughts on this or I’m I completely wrong on this . Scene Qualcom are a serious chipset manufacture .
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You need some decent video processing capabilities. Requirements and standards in the mobile space are not necessarily the same as in the TV space. I haven't heard of a Qualcomm SoC which would be suited for a HDR TV.

Also consider that Sony is pretty much on a cuts plan (see Opera TV Store, SideView app). MediaTek SoCs are cheap...

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Another point to make why why why can't Sony do the decent thing and ditch the whole Opera TV browser like their stupid Opera sites snd get Chrome browser in.

It a far better browser and I can have full access to all my folders and accounts.

Can't they just let Google implement it for a change. No one uses Opera it's crap!

Is their a may to get Chrome browser working on these sets is it just the case of getting thr APK file and install it or this does not work to well.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 smartphone
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Just use a browser on your PC/notebook, log into Google Play Store with the same account as you use on your TV, search Chrome via Google Play Store and select Install. Now you can chose your TV to install Chrome on. Unfortunately Chrome won't appear on the main screen of your TV. You can install the Sideload Launcher app from the Play Store. From within Sideload Launcher you can now start Chrome.

I have no clue why Chrome does not come preinstalled. It seems that the browser is fully optimized for the TV. Haven't used it extensively though.

I don't need any browser on my TV. But I can't really see what the strategy is. Google probably does not see the necessity of a browser either. So Sony puts Opera on...

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Mm sounds very interesting. I use the same Google account on my notebook laptop mobile as I use chrome all the time on those devices.

What side launcher have you used or recommend to get Chrome to use. It's worth the experiment and see just how well chrome browser works on my 2015 model can't be worse than Opera and if chrome is optimised should work fairly well.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Thought there was only one Sideload Launcher.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi just found it thank you so much appreciate your help!!

Okay goona give it a go and see what happens.

I'll post my results later.

Cheers 🍻

Would be great if Google or Sony gave us the choice to use chrome browser or Opera.. That could change at some point.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@newbix wrote:

Thanks dude. Maybe they will go straight  to android 7?

To avoid speculation - Although Sony are working on Android 7, the plan is to continue and finish the roll-out of Marshmallow.