Join now - be part of our community!

How to convert mts or m2ts files to play on QuickTime?

SOLVED
profile.country.no_NO.title
MarSSol
Visitor

How to convert mts or m2ts files to play on QuickTime?

I have a HDR-CX160E camera and I'm trying to use videos in InqScribe. InqScribe is a transcription program and can read different types of formats, but the safest is to have a format that QT can read. I have been told that it has something to do with the codec, but I'm noe sure what that means. Is there some way to change the codec? Do I need a convertion program? Any tips on free convertion programs that wil convert more than three minutes?

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello MarSSol - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Have you considered trying a piece of freeware such as this one. Another option would be to use something like Free HD Converter and as long as you search for a term like 'MTS to AVI Freeware' on Google, you should find a piece of software that does the job without having time limits or watermarks.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello MarSSol - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Have you considered trying a piece of freeware such as this one. Another option would be to use something like Free HD Converter and as long as you search for a term like 'MTS to AVI Freeware' on Google, you should find a piece of software that does the job without having time limits or watermarks.

Thanks,

Simon

AndriyIndra
Explorer

So, there is no any bulid-in ways to convert? e.g. PlayMemories?

QuickTime doesn't support MTS/M2TS files. You'd better to convert them to QuickTime more compatible formats like MOV, MP4, etc.

Maybe you prefer to this step by step guide on how to covnert MTS/M2TS to MOV.

It also helps convert MTS/M2TS to MP4, AVI, FLV, MKV, WMV, etc.

Edited - spam

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

BTW also Playmemories Home can convert M2TS file to .mp4 (loosing quality....). I preferred to install VLC player that can read directly .m2ts file on iMac (and .mkv too)...

Lisaostos
New

You can tryto convert M2TS file to common used formats such as MP4 which is supported in many devices and apps. But a tool such as Video Converter Ultimate might be required if you want to convert the media format. 

More: How to Convert M2TS to MP4

profile.country.GB.title
daveclark966
Explorer

Avdshare Video Converter can convert any MTS/M2TS to all versions of QuickTime supported MOV, MP4, etc for easily playing MTS/M2TS on Mac.