Join now - be part of our community!

SDXC Card comparison for FDR-AX33

SOLVED
profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

SDXC Card comparison for FDR-AX33

Hallo everyone,

I want to buy a SDXC card for my FDR-AX33.

As IamNic 

• Class 10
  • U3
  • UHS-I
  • V30 speed

I wonder which of the two types, Canvas Go (90MB/s read, 45MB/s write) or Canvas React (100MB/s read, 80MB/s write) will affect the results.

I usually shoot at 1080p AVCHD format 28Mbps, or XAVC S  at 50Mbps sometimes, but I want to be ready for shooting long videos at 4K quality-100Mbps in a future circumstance.

Thank you

-John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @ioagount,

why would you want to use a micro-SD size card?

They get much hotter than full size cards, since they have a smaller area to dissopate heat.

I would go for a full size SD card with a V30 rating (which also checks the lower ratings like class 10).

Write speed ratings on their own are not important, since they do not tell you if they are measured sequential or continous - this is why the "V" classification (like V30) was added.

This also answers your initial question on which of the two linked cards you would want to use.

- Nic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @ioagount,

why would you want to use a micro-SD size card?

They get much hotter than full size cards, since they have a smaller area to dissopate heat.

I would go for a full size SD card with a V30 rating (which also checks the lower ratings like class 10).

Write speed ratings on their own are not important, since they do not tell you if they are measured sequential or continous - this is why the "V" classification (like V30) was added.

This also answers your initial question on which of the two linked cards you would want to use.

- Nic

profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

Nic,

I think that "micro" cards are a bit cheaper than full size cards, but I did not know it was about temperature.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Ι finally ordered a full size card.

And a last question: I usually shoot videos at 50fps. When I turn to 25fps my videos are a bit choppy. Is it because my eyes used to watch at high frames?

Does it have to do with the type of SD card?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @ioagount,

@ioagount  schrieb:

And a last question: I usually shoot videos at 50fps. When I turn to 25fps my videos are a bit choppy. Is it because my eyes used to watch at high frames? 

not from my experience - it mostly has to do with the shutter-speed you set your camera to.

Let's say you film at 50fps and your shutter speed is set to 1/100th of a second, your camera records a frame, exposes it for 1/100th of a second, does nothing for 1/100th of a second until it records the next frame which it exposes for 1/100th of a second and so on...

In this case you miss 1/100th of a second (0,01 seconds) from each movement.

If you now film at 25frames per second and expose for 1/100th of a second, your camera records a frame, exposes it for 1/100th of a second, does nothing for 3/100th of a second until it records the next frame which it exposes for 1/100th of a second and so on...

Now you miss 3/100th of a second (0.03 seconds) from each movement, which is three times as long as before.

In my experience this is what makes it now appear "choppy". If you reduce your shutter speed to e.g. 1/50th of a second, you now only miss 1/50th of a second (0.02 seconds).

Now you for yourself have to decide if you want to capture more of each movement OR go for less blurry videos - you have to find a middle ground you are satisfied with.

I hope this explanation is understandable. :upside_down:

@ioagount  schrieb:

Does it have to do with the type of SD card?

So no - it also has nothing to do with the SD card. :thumbsup:

- Nic

profile.country.GR.title
ioagount

Good morning Nic!

Your explanation is quite understandable.

I' ve read and watched tones of videos on youtube.

I usually set Shutter speed/Iris to auto and let the camera deside. 

I will try this...

Thanks

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @ioagount,

@ioagount  schrieb:

Your explanation is quite understandable.

I'm glad it was :yahoo::thumbsup:

@ioagount  schrieb:

I usually set Shutter speed/Iris to auto and let the camera deside. 

I suggest to keep the shutter speed at 1/50th of a second for all modes or go for the so called 180° shutter rule, meaning to always expose for half the duration of a video frame capture (25fps=1/50th of a second, 50fps=1/100th of a second, 100fps=1/200th of a second...).

- Nic