Join now - be part of our community!

playmemories install error

profile.country.en_GB.title
ehukai
Visitor

playmemories install error

good afternoon folks,

i've just purchased a dsc-hx20v and taken a few snaps which look great, i think!

i have installed the playmemories software and am trying to added the extended options.

it keeps giving me the message cannot start play memories home because the necessary files are missing or corrupted and then it removes the programme shortcuts to the original install.

any hints on what i can do to remedy this? i am by no means a software install noob but for the life of me i cannot work this one out!

thanks in advance

Message was edited by: ehukai

just clarified what the actual error was

20 REPLIES 20
Mick2011
New

Hi ehukai, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Which operating system are you using? Some versions of Vista and XP are not supported.

Assuming you're not running an incompatible system, you may have some software conflict preventing a successful install. In those circumstances, it's often easier to use an alternative image browser, such as WindowsLive.

Cheers

Mick

ehukai
Visitor

Thanks for the reply Mick,

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1.

I dont mind using different image software to be honest, I just want to make sure the software supports the gps tagging/tracking function.

Do you have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ehukai

Mick2011
New

The camera's GPS log is a file that can be exported and read by a number of image editors, as well as more dedicated apps like Google Earth, which will provide tracking info from it. Similarly, tagging is a function of the camera's EXIF file, rather than being dependant on PlayMemories for 'decoding'.

That said, if you think it might be more convenient to use PlayMemories, you could certainly try troubleshooting the install. Not really my department, unfortunately :thinking:

Cheers

Mick

Scooterfoxterrier
Visitor

I have the same problem.

cannot start play memories home because the necessary files are missing or corrupted

dsc-hx20v - Windows 7 (64bit)

A useful answer would be good.

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

Please have a look at the Sony installation guide:

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/disoft/int/playmemories-home/operation/install/

At which step exactly the error message is displayed?

nzlgraham
Visitor

Hi there I have a dsc-hx30v same as the 20 but with WIFI linking.  I get the same problem and cannot install PMH.  Sony suggest my computer may be incompatible!!  I run XP Professional SP3.  The error message is particularly unhelpful - it could for example name the missing or corrupted file.  The message arrises during the installing part of the process step 7 in the guide above for XP.

Any help most appreciated, some of the features the camera promotes cannot be used without this software.

Message was edited by: nzlgraham

spelling

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello nzlgraham - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

First of all, could you take a look at this page just to be sure that you are trying to install the latest version of PlaymemoriesHome:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=DSCHX30V&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/dow...

Once you have navigated to the appropriate Windows XP download, you will see that the latest version is 1.3.03 which was released at the end of August.

Thanks,

Simon

nzlgraham
Visitor

Hi Simon, yes it is the latest version I have been trying to install. It is called 'PMHome 1303' around 132 Mb download.  It is the same version as on the camera and gives the same error message posted above.

I had a session with a Sony person remotely accessing my computer yesterday and he failed also to get an install to work.  He believes there is an incompatibility issue with my computer.  It even failed trying to install in Safe Mode whic reduces the potential areas of incompatibility.  I am frustrated that they say they cannot help further and that their error message is so vague.

If there were some clues as to what sort of software issue could be causing the problem, I could try disabling things.  Any ideas?

Thanks, Graham

Mick2011
New

Hi Graham :slight_smile:

It's not only uninformative, it's a pretty generic error message too; while there's a chance it could be the same issue as the OP it's quite possible the software conflict relates to an entirely different file on your PC.

The only thing I can add is that there have been very few reports of this error with this version of PMH, which makes me think the installer itself maybe isn't the source of the issue here. If a safe mode install fails it might be that you have a corrupted system file somewhere. The only way to find out if your OS is at fault might be to reinstall it.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Cheers

Mick