Join now - be part of our community!

playmemories install error

profile.country.en_GB.title
ehukai
Visitor

playmemories install error

good afternoon folks,

i've just purchased a dsc-hx20v and taken a few snaps which look great, i think!

i have installed the playmemories software and am trying to added the extended options.

it keeps giving me the message cannot start play memories home because the necessary files are missing or corrupted and then it removes the programme shortcuts to the original install.

any hints on what i can do to remedy this? i am by no means a software install noob but for the life of me i cannot work this one out!

thanks in advance

Message was edited by: ehukai

just clarified what the actual error was

20 REPLIES 20
nzlgraham
Visitor

Hello Mick, I've got a lot of software and am reluctant to reinstall XP.  I have run SFC Scannow to correct any protected System files, that didn't help. 

Never having seen PMH, can you tell me is it worth putting a lot of effort into?  I can download photos and manage them well with Picasa.  I don't think I can use WIFI to the PC without PMH.  I imagine I can use the GPS location stuff with Google Earth.  I am not sure about the High Definition video and editting that without PMH.  Can you say what is the downside of not having the product?

Thanks

Graham

Mick2011
New

There's nothing especially important about PMH that can't be achieved with other video editors. There's a handy list of suitable editors on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#Editors

If you want to archive at the original quality of the footage after editing, choose an app that supports native editing of AVCHD. However if you transcode to .avi at highest quality you'll see little to no quality loss, which means you can use something (free) like Windows Live Movie Maker, which will perform the conversion and still give really good results.

And of course if you just want to view your vids there are many great players (such as VideoLAN) that will let you do this in native (AVCHD) format, as well as convert to 'easier' formats.

Hope you find something that works out for you :slight_smile:

Cheers

Mick

PJ_Cupcake
Visitor

Me too !

I run windows 8 (64 bit) - no problems with anything else. Same symptoms as others - installs Lite version, click install advance features, downloads,unpacks, asks accept conditions etc. runs installing for a minute or so then stops with the error message "missing or corrupt file". Lite  shortcuts then fail also.

I must have tried it 10 times - uninstalled, rebooted, loaded via different online support path, ran compatability mode XP Serv. pack 3 - still the same. LUN setting and USB auto ok on camera

If Sony cant fix this I may return the HX30V - I would like the picture editor and GPS to work - shame because the camera seems great otherwise.

Cheers

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello PJ_Cupcake - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I would echo the advice given by Mick above, and it may be worth investigating other video editing software until Sony release an updated version of the PMH software. I know that this is not an ideal situation, but I have seen numerous instances of this problem on the forums for people with a 64-bit version of Windows (whether there is an extra problem with Windows 8 or not may be another issue here).

If you take a look at the list in the link that Mick posted above, you will see a range of software products that you can use to transfer and edit video from your camera.

Thanks,

Simon

PJ_Cupcake
Visitor

*** FOUND A SOLUTION ON MY SYSTEM - SEE IF IT WORKS FOR YOU ***

Thanks Simon for the welcome and suggestions.

I spent several hours investigating and managed to get my software working - I will spell out the steps below.
In order to identify the missing files I took a risk and ran some of the leftover exe files from the failed installation and they actually named missing files.
The missing files should have come from the camera "Lite" installation. Something goes wrong with the Lite installation and once that happens no amount of re-installing seems to help.
The leaflet with the camera says you can install the software online or load it from the camera - THIS IS NOT TRUE - the software must be installed first from the camera via the USB and then advanced features downloaded from the internet. Sony need to investigate why it does not download all the files it needs if they think it should work from internet download only in every case.

Steps I took (Administrator user of course and I created a restore point before my first installation) :-

1 I used the Windows control panel uninstall option to uninstall PlayMemories Home. In my case it  showed   2 versions - remove both.

2 Use Windows explorer to find the folder "Sony" inside folder "Program Files (x86)". Delete anything remaining there.
In my case there was a single open file I could not delete - don't worry. (probably an open run time library file)

3 Rename "Sony" folder to something else eg. oldSony

4 On the camera -in case it makes any difference - check the camera USB mode is set to AUTO

5 Connect the camera via the USB.

6 The LITE version of PlayMemories Home should fire up. Give the ok to anything it asks.
At this point the LITE version is running from the camera.

7 On one of the windows there is a button to install software on your computer.
Click it and accept the "recommended install" - don't take the "custom" install option (I think this is what causes the error even if you use the same locations etc as the "recommended").  Go ahead with the install.
You may get an error message "cannot stop service" - just ok that.

8 You should now have a fully working version but with no GPS, edit or movies. Give it a good try - the shortcuts should fire it up ok.

9 When you are ready click the button to in install advanced features. Give the usual ok's to the install, again taking the recommended options.

10 Hopefully you will now have a complete working system with all the facilities! Good Luck!

Cheers,  Ray                         ( AKA     PJ_Cupcake )

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello PJ_Cupcake :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your solution with the rest of the forum - hopefully this information will be of benefit to other users.

Simon

carlvt88
New

Solution 2:

Short answer: reboot computer and try to reinstall

Long answer: I arrived at this thread by googling the same error message. After receiving the failure, I went to the %temp% directory (using win7) and the most recent file was a log file from the install. In it, I searched for errors and found:

MSI (s) (28:8C) [18:09:16:803]: Transforming table Error.

Info 1603. The file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100.dll is being held in use by the following process: Name: explorer, Id: 6600, Window Title: '(not determined yet)'. Close that application and retry.
MSI (s) (28:8C) [18:09:16:807]: Transforming table Error.

MSI (s) (28:8C) [18:09:16:810]: Transforming table Error.

Info 1603. The file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100.dll is being held in use by the following process: Name: TSVNCache, Id: 5152, Window Title: '(not determined yet)'. Close that application and retry.
MSI (s) (28:8C) [18:09:16:815]: Transforming table Error.

Info 1603. The file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp100.dll is being held in use by the following process: Name: explorer, Id: 6600, Window Title: '(not determined yet)'. Close that application and retry.
MSI (s) (28:8C) [18:09:16:817]: Transforming table Error.

Info 1603. The file C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp100.dll is being held in use by the following process: Name: TSVNCache, Id: 5152, Window Title: '(not determined yet)'. Close that application and retry.

Seeing that explorer and TSVNCache (I use Tortoise SVN) were holding onto files, I tried rebooting computer to release these files.

Also: when I rebooted, Win7 also installed some updates. I'll never know which was the actual root cause, but it's working now :slight_smile:

devassy
New

my PC has pmh i own HDRcx200E After formatting pc dowloaded pmb from handycam not working right. cannot upgdate from net. cannot install

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi devassy, have you tried downloading PlayMemories Home from either your Handycams support page or from the PlayMemories Home support site?

Allab7
Explorer

The latest version of PlayMemories issued in September will not work correct on Windows 8.1 although the previous version worked fine. After downloading and running the software, it starts ok and then I get a fault message stating that it will now shut down and that M/S will get back to me if the fault with the program can be resolved. The version of PlayMemories does run ok on my laptop ok.

Allan