Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Cybershot DSC W5 - type of memory stick

SOLVED
Figgerty
Explorer

Sony Cybershot DSC W5 - type of memory stick

Hi

I have quite an old SONY DSC-W5:and would like to buy a 4GB memory card for this camera but am confused if it will use this capacity card and if it is ok what type of card should I buy. I already have a few Memory Stick Pro 1GB cards and one older card that has it's own adapter. I would rather not have an adapter. Do I buy: Memory Stick Pro or Pro Duo or what should I buy.

Thanks for interest

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi Figgerty and welcome to the Community!

A Pro-Duo stick may be good for you but I think you'd need an MSAC-M2 adapter.

(according to the link below)

I think the main difference with this type of stick is larger capacities

and faster data transfer between card and pc.

I also think a 4GB stick is the max the camera can use according to the Sony info here: Sony Memory Stick info

If you're using firefox then click ctrl then F and type in W5 to see the table.

They are certainly alot cheaper than they used to be. Shop around :slight_smile:

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi Figgerty and welcome to the Community!

A Pro-Duo stick may be good for you but I think you'd need an MSAC-M2 adapter.

(according to the link below)

I think the main difference with this type of stick is larger capacities

and faster data transfer between card and pc.

I also think a 4GB stick is the max the camera can use according to the Sony info here: Sony Memory Stick info

If you're using firefox then click ctrl then F and type in W5 to see the table.

They are certainly alot cheaper than they used to be. Shop around :slight_smile:

Tags (1)
Figgerty
Explorer

Hi, thanks for your interest. 

I am currently using a 1gb memory stick pro duo stick with an adapter and a 1gb memory stick pro card without adapter that also works well.  My earlier sticks were 512mb and are all memory stick pro without an adapter.  Why are they now as rare as hens teeth?

I looked on line and I can't find any memory stick pro of 4GB, despite some results showing availability but when I select the item it turns out to be a pro duo stick with or requiring an adapter.  Should they be available still or am I wasting my time looking for the MS pro card.

It seems the 4GB card is fine but if I try and video more than 2GB on it it will not accept it.  I am willing to take the risk as I very rarely use video. 

Tags (1)
maj111
New

I have it. Supported are Memory Stick Pro or Pro Duo up to 2GB.