Join now - be part of our community!

How do i uninstall my prs-505

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jaallso
Visitor

How do i uninstall my prs-505

Hi there, can anyone tell me how to remove the prs-505 from my pc and then re-install it on someone elses pc?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drumzman
New

Hi jaallso,

You don't have to uninstall your PRS-505 as such, but you do need to de-register it if you want to pass it on to someone else.  (I'd also suggest erasing any eBooks that you've downloaded onto your Reader as the person you pass it on to won't be able to read them once they've created their own registration with Adobe).

The best way to de-register/re-authorise is to connect your Reader to your computer and open up your Reader Library software.  Highlight (click on) the Reader icon that appears in the menu down the left hand side of the screen (so that the main panel of the software shows the contents of the PRS-505).  Then press the Ctrl, Shift and D keys down together.  This will de-register the PRS-505 from your Adobe ID.  If you click on the 'Status' icon on the left hand side, you should see confirmation that your Reader has been de-authorised.

Disconnect your Reader, and you can do one final check to make sure all is well: from the main menu on the Reader itself select 'Settings', then 'About'.  Under the section about Adobe you should see that it will say that 'This device is notauthorised for Adobe DRM protected content'.

You can then pass your Reader on to someone else who can install a copy of the Reader Library software and create their own Adobe Digital ID for their computer and the PRS-505 (this process happens automatically when they first purchase an eBook).  A tip here - I would download the latest version of Reader Library v3.3 as this has Adobe Digital Editions built into it (that way you don't need to install the Adobe software as well like you used to have to do when the PRS-505 first came out).  Also, if you are getting a new Reader, make sure that you douse the same Adobe ID as you just de-registered your old Reader from, otherwise you won't be able to read any existing eBooks you've bought and you have on your computer with a new Reader.

Hope all that makes sense!:smileyhappy:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Drumzman
New

Hi jaallso,

You don't have to uninstall your PRS-505 as such, but you do need to de-register it if you want to pass it on to someone else.  (I'd also suggest erasing any eBooks that you've downloaded onto your Reader as the person you pass it on to won't be able to read them once they've created their own registration with Adobe).

The best way to de-register/re-authorise is to connect your Reader to your computer and open up your Reader Library software.  Highlight (click on) the Reader icon that appears in the menu down the left hand side of the screen (so that the main panel of the software shows the contents of the PRS-505).  Then press the Ctrl, Shift and D keys down together.  This will de-register the PRS-505 from your Adobe ID.  If you click on the 'Status' icon on the left hand side, you should see confirmation that your Reader has been de-authorised.

Disconnect your Reader, and you can do one final check to make sure all is well: from the main menu on the Reader itself select 'Settings', then 'About'.  Under the section about Adobe you should see that it will say that 'This device is notauthorised for Adobe DRM protected content'.

You can then pass your Reader on to someone else who can install a copy of the Reader Library software and create their own Adobe Digital ID for their computer and the PRS-505 (this process happens automatically when they first purchase an eBook).  A tip here - I would download the latest version of Reader Library v3.3 as this has Adobe Digital Editions built into it (that way you don't need to install the Adobe software as well like you used to have to do when the PRS-505 first came out).  Also, if you are getting a new Reader, make sure that you douse the same Adobe ID as you just de-registered your old Reader from, otherwise you won't be able to read any existing eBooks you've bought and you have on your computer with a new Reader.

Hope all that makes sense!:smileyhappy:

jaallso
Visitor

Thank you very much for your response, it was very helpful.

Is it possible to transfer the reader to another pc staying registered to original user?

Thanks

Jackie

Drumzman
New

Hello Jackie,

No problem, glad it was of some help:smileyhappy:!

It is possible to leave your Reader registered to you, but if the new user wanted to download eBooks using their PC it would just mean that they would have to authorise their PC with your Adobe ID (usually your e-mail and a password) i.e. the same ID as you used to authorise your PC originally.  As long as you were happy to let them have this then really there's no problem.  Adobe never send e-mails to addresses used to authorise devices, and they allow you to have up to 6 devices authorised using the same ID anyway.  (I actually did this for my mother-in-law!!:smileywink:)

Hope that answers your question?

jaallso
Visitor

Very helpful, thank you very much :slight_smile: