Join now - be part of our community!

General home cinema help!

SOLVED
stuartcripps
Explorer

General home cinema help!

Hi, I purchased a Sony Bravia KDL 47" TV that came complete with a soundbar. The sound is good, but I now want to upgrade to a full home cinema surround sound system. My question is can I incorporate the soundbar into this setup and just buy some add-ons or do I need to buy a completely separate solution and start again?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not sure if I can recommend - because everyone has different requirements.  What I can do, is advise you of your options.

Option 1 - All-In-One Home Cinema System

Option 2 - All Separate

• AV Receiver - Such as STR-DH540
  • 5.1 Speaker Package - Needs a bit of research to get what you require within budget
  • A Bluray player - Such as BDP-S5100, or BDP-S4100

Option 1 is the most simplest solution and will be within budget.  Option 2 allows for expandability, but will likely blow your budget a little

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Without knowing the exact model soundbar you have....

Soundbars are generally 2.1 with simulated 5.1 surround sound.  Most (but not all) soundbars do not incorporate a break away rear speaker option.  To ensure that yours doesnt, check the connections at the back, or refer to the manual.

Unfortunately, you will need to purchase a complete solution, and not add-ons.   However, if your soundbar is in good working order, you should be able to sell it and re-couperate some cost.  From my understanding, soundbars are in good demand recently.  Probably due to the compact-ness and cheaper option in order to obtain better audio output than a TV would.

Cheers

stuartcripps
Explorer

Many thanks for your email. I'll have a check on the model but I assumed I would need to buy a complete system. 

What solution would you recommend for a budget of £300 - £500?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not sure if I can recommend - because everyone has different requirements.  What I can do, is advise you of your options.

Option 1 - All-In-One Home Cinema System

Option 2 - All Separate

• AV Receiver - Such as STR-DH540
  • 5.1 Speaker Package - Needs a bit of research to get what you require within budget
  • A Bluray player - Such as BDP-S5100, or BDP-S4100

Option 1 is the most simplest solution and will be within budget.  Option 2 allows for expandability, but will likely blow your budget a little

Hope that helps.

stuartcripps
Explorer

Many thanks for your help - Much appreciated.

stuartcripps
Explorer

Ah... one other question - Any support for wireless rear speakers? 

I can't see that any of these allow this...

Anonymous
Not applicable

No problems by the way :slight_smile:

I think only 1 model this year supports wireless rear speakers:  BDV-N7100W - but it blows your budget a bit.

Amazon sells it for £549

www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BDVN7100W-Blu-ray-Channel-Cinema/dp/B00CE5DC40/

Cheers