Join now - be part of our community!

Please help me!

profile.country.en_GB.title
sidney777
Visitor

Please help me!

Hey there realy need some help i'm not to computer savy and brought an s series 15" laptop. I have the assist button which i though would be a good idea as i know very little about computers. How ever.... everytime i press this button it brings up the menu on the right hand side of the screen and the rest of the screen goes black, and a message comes up and tells me vaio shell has stoped working and windows is looking for a solution to the problem, but it never comes up with one. If i go through the menu and open vaio shell without pressing the assisit button it still tells me the same thing. If anyone has any advice on the matter it would be much appreciated. Thanks

65 REPLIES 65
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Tech team at Sony are still investigating.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.fi_FI.title
aninna
Visitor

Thank you for the update!

Annina

profile.country.sv_SE.title
TinaStill
Visitor

Hi,

I have not  receive any further information directly from the support. If I do I'll  let you know.  🙂

Regards Tina

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Thanks Tina.

I will reciprocate if and when I receive further information.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.sv_SE.title
TinaStill
Visitor

Support called today just to say that they do not have a solution ....

/tina

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Thanks for the update Tina – at least we know the problem is not forgotten...presumably they said it was still under investigation?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ValS007
Visitor

This is my 1st attempt to engage in the discussion concerning stalling/shutdowns of VAIOcare programme due to VAIOShell stopping shortly after starting up. I have just bought a brand new laptop direct from Sony (model SVE1511W1ESl ), an extravagant birthday present for my wife based on my perceived high spec of the machine. I have spent an embarrasing amount of time over the last few days trying to overcome this problem which appears to have been ongoing issue for some time now judging from the log of user comments and various suggested fixes  which from what I can gather (apart from one user) appear not to have resolved the issue conclusively and have led to other suggested solutions which from quick review of the logs appear to have failed).

I  contacted Sony initially and was advised to  remove a .NET framework file from Windows and to reinstall it manually from the Msoft site. When I found some 11 .NET framework updates and security updates on my machine I lost confidence in this process and attempted a fix from Mr Fixit which was downloaded. Initially this appeared to resolve the issue but then the VAIOshell program started closing down again on startup of Vaiocare which does not work. I dont know whether all solutions proposed to date are model specific.

Is there a reliable fix yet for this issue which appears to have been around for some time now?

I feel I have made a bad choice with this product especially as it is Sonys proprietary software that appears to be the issue. If you bought a car from a garage that you could not drive away directly after purchase (subject to required investigation of a fault with the engine apparently stopping freqently or not starting) you would be understandably hot under the collar! My appreciation of the Sony brand built on the ethos of quality is diminishing rapidly especially as product prices reflect this expectation of quality.

I realise that the above comments sound carpy and apologise in advance as you guys are in the business of helping users like me and I look forward to and appreciate any suggestions you can offer to conclusively resolve this issue. I am not a techy but have been happily using desktops for many years (Windows 98 and XP) without major concerns before over unreliability issues.

Please advise whether there is a reliable fix for my laptop machine or the best I can hope for in the circumstances.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ValS007,

As you will have gathered from this thread it is a longstanding problem and we have been assured that Sony Tech are working on it.

Unfortunately if none of the suggestions that worked for some models don’t apply to your model there is nothing that can be done at your end, but I can totally understand your frustration.

The best that you can hope for is that a solution is forthcoming within a reasonable timescale. We have not been updated for a few days so I will chase and post when further information is forthcoming.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ValS007
Visitor

Thanks for the quick response. Looks like a solution will not be available for some time. Why are Sony still selling these (new laptop) machines with apparently known unresolved proprietary software defects?

Bravos97
Visitor

I am in the same situation as ValS007.

Just taken delivery of an SVE1511C5E direct from Sony.

Being careful to follow the instructions I haven't even been able to complete the Quickstart instructions as I get the 'VAIOShell has stopped working' error message when I press the Assist button.

As I understand it the VAIOShell is Sony's own maintenance and support package.  As such, I'm not inclined to start trying to maintain it for them - which simply digs me deeper into a hole of commitment - and certainly not intending to start using it and loading data.

If it doesn't work then it is for Sony to fix it - not me.

Like ValS007 - I wonder why Sony is shipping new laptops from its factory with a known defect.

If the machine doesn't even perform the manufacturer's own maintenance program it strikes me that it is not of merchantable quality and I am inclined to return it and require a replacement.

Will be on the phone to UK Support on Monday morning.