Join now - be part of our community!

after re-install of windows the reader does not recognise laptop

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
BARRYFC1
Visitor

after re-install of windows the reader does not recognise laptop

We re-installed windows after it corrupted on our laptop, the IT guys also removed the adobe editions and the sony reader library. the wife downloaded new books the week end and eventually managed to install the sony reader library, we could not install adobe due to them saying it was registered to another and Adobe were a waste of time, with the sony library it would not allow the books to be transferred to the reader!!!! said the reader was unauthorised, and ideas people out there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drumzman
New

Hi BARRYFC1,

If it's the latest version of Reader Library that you downloaded (I think that's v3.3) then you don't need to re-install Adobe Digital Editions because it's built in to the Sony Reader Library software.

But, as you've had to rebuild your computer, I'm guessing that you will have to re-authorise your PC for Adobe Digital Editions so that you can read copy protected eBooks again.

Usually the Reader Library software will prompt you automatically to authorise your PC (and/or Reader) when you download a copy protected eBook - i.e. something you've purchased from somewhere like Waterstones, WHSmith etc.

One thing you could try to get the software to do this, is to re-download an eBook that you've previously purchased e.g. one from before your computer corrupted (most retailer websites have an order history section where you find your previous purchases).  If you press the 'download' button and  choose the 'open' option, if the computer needs authorising you should see the prompt appear - it's then really important that you use the same Adobe ID (and your accompanying password) as you did when you first registered with Adobe.  That should authorise the PC (you can check afterwards if you click on the 'status' icon in the left hand panel of the software if it's been done).  Then you can drag and drop this eBook you've just downloaded onto your Reader when you connect it to your PC.  Again, if the Reader needs authorising, then you'll see a similar prompt where you'd have to use the same Adobe ID and password as before (however your Reader may still be authorised so this might not be necessary).

Hope this helps you.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Drumzman
New

Hi BARRYFC1,

If it's the latest version of Reader Library that you downloaded (I think that's v3.3) then you don't need to re-install Adobe Digital Editions because it's built in to the Sony Reader Library software.

But, as you've had to rebuild your computer, I'm guessing that you will have to re-authorise your PC for Adobe Digital Editions so that you can read copy protected eBooks again.

Usually the Reader Library software will prompt you automatically to authorise your PC (and/or Reader) when you download a copy protected eBook - i.e. something you've purchased from somewhere like Waterstones, WHSmith etc.

One thing you could try to get the software to do this, is to re-download an eBook that you've previously purchased e.g. one from before your computer corrupted (most retailer websites have an order history section where you find your previous purchases).  If you press the 'download' button and  choose the 'open' option, if the computer needs authorising you should see the prompt appear - it's then really important that you use the same Adobe ID (and your accompanying password) as you did when you first registered with Adobe.  That should authorise the PC (you can check afterwards if you click on the 'status' icon in the left hand panel of the software if it's been done).  Then you can drag and drop this eBook you've just downloaded onto your Reader when you connect it to your PC.  Again, if the Reader needs authorising, then you'll see a similar prompt where you'd have to use the same Adobe ID and password as before (however your Reader may still be authorised so this might not be necessary).

Hope this helps you.