Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S3700 won't recognise internet connection

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Baseliner1

BDP-S3700 won't recognise internet connection

My blu-ray player (Sony BDP-3700) suddenly stopped connecting to the internet yesterday. It had been working fine until yesterday. I shows as being connected ok to the router via wireless, but when I try to start Netflix or iPlayer or YouTube etc it says "internet connection status cannot be confirmed" and "the network appears to be down". I've tried resetting the network settings, and inputting them manually but that doesn't work either. The router is working fine, and internet is working on all other devices in the house. Seems to be a problem with the player. Anyone else?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
kevin_priest_fc
Explorer

I just bought a BDP-S3700 and had exactly the same problem.  I could connect to my wifi but failed to connect to the internet.  I called my ISP butthey said as everything else connected to my wifi, it must be an issue with the DVD player.

I found the answer in the Support community, the link is 

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35254/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDgwMjc5MjA3L3NpZC9Y...

You need to enter some settings manually to connect.  The important one is tis

• IP address or IPv4 address - which needs to be set higher than it is on your own computer.

I have an iMac and it is in system preferences, network.

I'm no ID guru but I did it.  I nearley tore all my hair out and was just about to give up and return the DVD player to the store.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately this is not the first time ive seen this issue on this forums - but I have also not received a concrete answer as of yet on the solution or at least a work-around.

Linking this post to your's

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home-cinema-projectors-players/bdp-s1700-wired-internet-fail/m-p/224...

As for your immediate concern:

• Can you ensure that you have the latest firmware installed - see HERE (USB Method if you need to update)
  • I would recommend you do a full factory reset of the player - see page 30 of the manual : HERE

Give that a go and see if it works.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Baseliner1

Hi Quinnicus

Thanks for your response. I have done the factory reset but unfortunately it made no difference.

For some reason, one day this week the player started working fine again, without me doing anything at all. But that only lasted for one evening and now it's back to not connecting again - like the other user said, the player says "physical connection OK, internet connection FAILED". It's the same when I connect via ethernet cable too.

I will check the firmware version later and update if needed.

For info, before posting on here I did accidentally post the problem on the Sony US community forum here and got the following response but I don't understand half of what it's telling me to do so haven't tried this:

1. Restart the router:

Turn off the wireless device.
Unplug both the router and modem.
Leave both the router and modem unplugged for 2 minutes.
Plug in the modem, and then plug in the router.
Allow 3-5 minutes for the modem and router to completely restart.
Turn on the wireless device.

2. Make sure the wireless device has the most recent firmware installed.

3. Follow the product documentation to reset the wireless device to the factory default settings.
4. Manually set the Primary DNS address to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 in the Network Setup of the wireless device.

5. Make sure Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP) is enabled on your router.
6. Turn off MAC filtering or add the IP address of the wireless device in the DHCP table of the router.
7. Temporarily disable encryption for the router; turn it back on after connection.
8. Enable the router to accept network pings.
9. If the router is not broadcasting the SSID, temporarily configure the router to broadcast it; you can turn broadcasting back off after connection.
10. Increase the number of DHCP users.

NOTE: The router may be limiting the number of devices that can be connected.

Thanks. Will post back when I've checked the firmware etc.

Dean

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Yes, please let me know.  I am happy to go through with you on what you dont quite understand.  Just reply back and ill see if I can explain better.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Baseliner1

Hi, I've updated the firmware (it was old) and have done another full factory reset but I still get the same error messages when trying to connect to the internet.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Baseliner1

Appologies for not replying back sooner (a week?) - are you still having problems?  If so, I might pass this onto Sony Support to be honest, as if even the wired connection fails, I think it should be investigated to find out the root cause.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Baseliner1

Hi, yes it's still not working. How do I refer it to Sony Support?

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I can referr this thread to Sony support - but just before I do, when you connected the Ethernet cable did you go into the network settings and run the setup again - in order to choose a 'wired' connection (instead of wireless)?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Baseliner1

Hi, yes I did just that.

thanks for your help.

Lorenzo126
Explorer

I'd like to add my issue to this. I had some problems when I first bought the player but then a helpful technician suggested the DNS addresses of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which worked for some time. I've just started a Netflix trial and been havgin terrible problems. Some may very well be Netflix's but I have noticed that other streaming serviuces such as Amazon Video also don't work. It's intermittent but then I receive messages to say the connection is down or I should check the settings. Oddly, when I do they show it being connected both physically and to the internet! Ayny thoughts? Are those DNS settings correct? I've also got the player with an assigned static IP which I've further configured with DHCP reservation on my router so there's no conflict on the address.