Join now - be part of our community!

SONY HT-CT60 Sound Bar

SOLVED
mifello36
New

SONY HT-CT60 Sound Bar

Hi. Hope somebody can help. Mum has a HT-CT60 sound bar connected to TV with optical cable. This has worked well for 12 months but had suddenly stopped working. I have changed the battery in the remote. When I press the power button on the remote, 2 lights on the sound bar illuminate briefly for a couple of seconds and then go off. No sound comes out as it seems that the unit is turning itself off immediately. Any suggestions?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

**This solution will fix the problem with the unit powering off shortly after you turn it on**

Take out all of the screws in the back and get it opened up, and you will see the main circuit board which consists of the power supply and amplifier section.  Find the capacitor labeled C914 which is right next to a small transformer and several other electrolytic capacitors.  It should read 470uf 16v 105c on the side, and if it's anything like the one I found it will have a bulged top on it indicating failure.  The capacitors around it will probably have nice flat tops and they shouldn't need replacing at this time.  Grab a soldering iron and carefully remove the failed capacitor.  If you don't feel comfortable doing this task, you may want to hire it out to a geeky friend : ) Go to your local electronics repair shop and buy a new 470uf 16v 105c capacitor.  Panasonic, Nichicon, Rubycon and Nippon Chemicon are good brands of capacitors to buy.  Make sure you get one rated for 105c or else it will fail prematurely.  Also be mindful of polarity when installing the new unit.  The negative side on the board is indicated by white score marks and the capacitor will have a stripe running top to bottom on the negative side.  It may help to use the photos below for reference

Here are some photos of the failed cap in my HT-CT60:

20151215_135955.jpg

20151215_140022.jpg 

Also touch up any solder joints that look cracked or sunken while you have the board out.  I found many bad solder joints on my board.  This unit was obviously NOT made by Sony since the quality of the parts and engineering is severely lacking.  I've never had to replace capacitors in any Sony products before, and I suspect that this unit is actually made by LG or Samsung and re-branded as Sony.

View solution in original post

85 REPLIES 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

A couple of things to try, however it is sounding like its a hardware issue (ie faulty)

• Try replacing the optical cable, you never know, it might be just cutting out because of a communication error to the TV
  • In order (and within 3 seconds) press the "Bass + " then "Vol - " then "Trebble + " on the remote control.  This will reset the soundbar.

Cheers

Craighessex
Explorer

Hi,

I have an issue with this sound bar. I have connected it using the optical cable to my tv and I have also tried connecting it to my sky+ box, but have the same problem. The sound is fine, but cuts out completely every few minutes for a couple of seconds. I replaced the optical cable. I have been through trouble-shooting with Sony Customer Services and received a replacement soundbar from the retailer. I still have the same problem with the new soundbar.

It works fine using bluetooth or phono leads, the problem only exists when using the optical connection, which is what I primarily use it for, for watching tv.

Can you offer any advice to correct this annoying fault?

Thank you & Regards

Craig

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

Just thinking about your problem here.  Since you have had your soundbar replaced and tried another optical cable and other connections to the CT60 work fine, I am going on the theory its your TV connection that is the issue.

Can you ensure that everything is connected correctly - the optical cable should 'click' in place securely.  If you are able to do so, make sure that your TV's firmware is upto date.  (I dont know what TV you have, so its hard to advise).  Also ensure that the settings on the TV are correct to, in regards to outputting audio via optical.

Cheers

Craighessex
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but as I think I mentioned, I have tried connecting the optical cable from the tv and also from my sky+ box, so it's not the tv.

I also checked the firmware and that is also upto date.

I have checked the connections several times and changed the tv settings to external speakers - tv speakers are off.

I have a Sony Bravia 42" smart 3d tv.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

**This solution will fix the problem with the unit powering off shortly after you turn it on**

Take out all of the screws in the back and get it opened up, and you will see the main circuit board which consists of the power supply and amplifier section.  Find the capacitor labeled C914 which is right next to a small transformer and several other electrolytic capacitors.  It should read 470uf 16v 105c on the side, and if it's anything like the one I found it will have a bulged top on it indicating failure.  The capacitors around it will probably have nice flat tops and they shouldn't need replacing at this time.  Grab a soldering iron and carefully remove the failed capacitor.  If you don't feel comfortable doing this task, you may want to hire it out to a geeky friend : ) Go to your local electronics repair shop and buy a new 470uf 16v 105c capacitor.  Panasonic, Nichicon, Rubycon and Nippon Chemicon are good brands of capacitors to buy.  Make sure you get one rated for 105c or else it will fail prematurely.  Also be mindful of polarity when installing the new unit.  The negative side on the board is indicated by white score marks and the capacitor will have a stripe running top to bottom on the negative side.  It may help to use the photos below for reference

Here are some photos of the failed cap in my HT-CT60:

20151215_135955.jpg

20151215_140022.jpg 

Also touch up any solder joints that look cracked or sunken while you have the board out.  I found many bad solder joints on my board.  This unit was obviously NOT made by Sony since the quality of the parts and engineering is severely lacking.  I've never had to replace capacitors in any Sony products before, and I suspect that this unit is actually made by LG or Samsung and re-branded as Sony.

Johnw56
New

Hi,

just followed your advice and..... Success! Fairly straightforward if a little fiddly. Basic dismantling/soldering knowledge required.

thanks so much for this tip: cost the princely sum of 59p from Maplins and about 45 mins.

note, although the cap in our unit showed no sign of distress like yours it was obviously the fault.

thanks again, friend,

John

profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

Glad we could save another sound bar from ending up in the back of a refuse truck! 

Neytiri
Explorer

Inside

What  should I try? 

I guess they look okay ? 

profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

Others have reported success by replacing the capacitor even when it doesn't show signs of bulging or stress.  Remove the board from the unit and locate the C914 capacitor, replace it (or have someone replace it for you) and see if that fixes it.  You can also test the capacitor with a multimeter when you have it out of circuit to make sure it's bad.