Join now - be part of our community!

DVD player with scart connection

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
fuzzbucket

DVD player with scart connection

We have a Sony DVP-SR150, which is absolutely brilliant. It only has a Scart lead. We now have an HD-ready TV which has only HDMI ports available (we do also have the three socket red/yellow/white connectors on both, but that didn't work - we got sound but no picture.)

Will a simple Scart/hdmi cable make the player work properly with the TV ? If not - what will ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
fuzzbucket

No, Scart to composite didn't work at all, so we ordered a cheap Scart splitter cable with a switch.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AXZV9UW

That worked - though we had to set all the picture settings all over again for some reason. I think the switch is probably essential, to anyone else wt this issue.

Thanks for all your help - at least I didn't spend rather a lot more to buy a converter !

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @fuzzbucket,

Scart can be adapted to composite video+chinch without any issues, if your TV still hast these connectors (yellow, red, white) that is the best way to go.

The only thing is, that some adapters are "directional", meaning the signal might not be able to travel in the direction you want.

Some Scart to composite video adapters have a switch to change the direction it lets the signal trough, maybe yours has one too.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
fuzzbucket

We get no image if we use the yellow/red/white at both ends (the DVD and the TV both have the sockets). Any suggestions ? The sound that way is excellent, so we feel there must be a way... Does this mean we would be best with a composite/scart adapter rather than scart/hdmi ?

profile.country.GB.title
fuzzbucket

Would this one be right ? (I can't go to a store and ask for advice under lockdown ! ☹️ )

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/VTOP-SCART-Adapter-Component-Switchable-Black/dp/B01CV4MN7K/ref=sr_1_3?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @fuzzbucket,

thank you for the clarification, that the DVD player has a composite video output directly. I assumed it only had a scart-output which you adapted.

The adapter you linked definetly has the option to let the signal trough in both directions once you bring the switch/lever in the right position, the question I now have is why the TV hasn't recognized the DVD player when you connected it directly from the players composite video+chinch ports to the ones on the TV.

Can you verify with another device that the composite video+chinch port on your TV is working correctly? Otherwise the adapter you linked won't do you any good.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
fuzzbucket

It recognised it when we used composites at both ends, but there was no picture, only sound.... I'm not sure if we have another device with composites. The TV is new; I HOPE it's working right !

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @fuzzbucket,

can you try the following - can you please plug one of the audio leads into the yellow port on the DVD player (no worries, the cables are the same just with different colored plastic casings around the plugs) and then try all three of the ports on the TV one after the other?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
fuzzbucket

OK (finally - I am not doing this 24/7 !)

Yellow on the DVD to yellow on the TV - no signal at all. Yellow to red and yellow to white gets sound only, no picture.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @fuzzbucket,

thanks for cross checking - it could be that the DVD players video output needs to be changed in the menu somewhere!? Not sure hard to tell from here.

If you got a signal via SCART in the past, ordering the adapter you mentioned earlier couldn't hurt.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
fuzzbucket

If we use the scart cable  from  the sky box it works fine.