Join now - be part of our community!

SONY HT-CT60 Sound Bar

SOLVED
mifello36
New

SONY HT-CT60 Sound Bar

Hi. Hope somebody can help. Mum has a HT-CT60 sound bar connected to TV with optical cable. This has worked well for 12 months but had suddenly stopped working. I have changed the battery in the remote. When I press the power button on the remote, 2 lights on the sound bar illuminate briefly for a couple of seconds and then go off. No sound comes out as it seems that the unit is turning itself off immediately. Any suggestions?
85 REPLIES 85
pwoosta
New

Did you or anyone else ever have any luck fixing their HT-CT260H board? Mine randomly stopped powering on a few days ago. I don't see any capacitors that are bulged.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
megablst
Explorer

Yes, I fixed mine with relative ease - it was showing the exact signs discussed in this post with a bulging / exploded capacitor. Easily replaced within an hour or so for next to nothing and the sound bar is fine now. However if you've got no obvious signs of anything failing that could be a bit trickier.

megablst

profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

Try heating that group of capacitors with a heat gun and see if it
changes the symptom.  If so, you can narrow it down by heating
individual capacitors with your soldering iron to narrow down which one
is faulty.  Alternatively you can use cold spray if heating doesn't
yield any results.
profile.country.GB.title
Bob_Rich
New

Hi  All

If anyone is still watching this thread I would welcome some help.  I fixed it once by changing a bulging capacitor  it has stopped again. This time will not switch on at all no LEDs no response from controller nothing. opened up and had another bulging capacitor changed this but no change.  Interestingly the  the capacitor I changed had no voltage, when checked with my DVM, being developed across it. It is as though it is stuck in standby.   two other capacitors had  around 29V and 3.5V across then but no other voltage can be found The power supply seems to be based on a   SSC620 chip and waveform around this seem OK when checked with my scope.It looks like it was stuck in either standby or overload mode.  when looking at the back of the unit with the cover off ther is a small circuit board stuck to the right and side . It is fed by a small plug with a red and white lead  any idea what this is for.

wouldwelcome some help on this  it seems a shame to scrap it 

thanks in advance 

Bob

profile.country.GB.title
iasathe83
Explorer

I would like to thank you most sincerely for your solution to the Sony HT-CT60 sound bar not working. Having been an electrician all my life, your solution did not seem any difficulty to me. so i purchased a new Capacitor of EBay for £1.91 and replaced the faulty one as described in your solution.

Not only did the sound bar work and light up when i turned it so did my eyes witht the excitment. Saved purchasing a new one. Thanks to Google and you we have sound once again.

Thank you very sincerely.

profile.country.NL.title
Wouter010NL
Explorer

Hi Soughnie, 

I see you've succesfully helped out quite a few people. 

I have the Sony SA-CT260h and it suddenly turned off. I never got it to turn on again, except for one time this morning. I took out the screws, unplugged the powersupply (internally) and plugged it back in. Then it worked, for about 15 minutes, after which it turned off again and I didn't get it to work since. 

Done:
I have already checked for blown up capasitors (none, for what I can see) 

I think I should do the following, but please let me know:
To do: 
1) Share pictures of the printed boards (brown/tanned one and green, both sides of each). 
2) If you don't see anything, check with a multimeter what the voltage is at the powersupply? 
3) .... 

thanks in advance!
Best,

Wouter

profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

Check the solder joints on the underside of the power supply. They did a crap job soldering them and you'll probably find some that need touching up.

--
Edited [personal details removed]

profile.country.NL.title
Wouter010NL
Explorer

Hi Soughnie,

Thanks for your response!

I checked them, but please see the picture as attached, I see no damaged joints/broken joints.. 

Should I check the supply with a multimeter?

alternatively, the socket used to plug into the circuit board also does not feel very stable. Maybe it is in there?20190712_201635.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

If you don't see any bad solder joints then it's time to break out the heat gun and some cold spray. With the power supply out and accessible, plug the mains into it and start heating the board from one end to the other, all the while attempting to turn the unit on. You should be able to narrow down the faulty component further by heating with a soldering iron at a lower temperature. If heating doesn't reveal the culprit, try using cold spray or an upside down can of duster to freeze different areas of the board. Expansion and contraction are very useful tools in this scenario.

--
[cid:part1.492C4335.46501982@live.com]
profile.country.GB.title
cogooda41
Explorer

Yet another happy customer, replaced C914 plus another capacitor as both were blown . Sound bar now operating ok.

Thanks for the advice