Join now - be part of our community!

SONY HT-CT60 Sound Bar

SOLVED
mifello36
New

SONY HT-CT60 Sound Bar

Hi. Hope somebody can help. Mum has a HT-CT60 sound bar connected to TV with optical cable. This has worked well for 12 months but had suddenly stopped working. I have changed the battery in the remote. When I press the power button on the remote, 2 lights on the sound bar illuminate briefly for a couple of seconds and then go off. No sound comes out as it seems that the unit is turning itself off immediately. Any suggestions?
85 REPLIES 85
profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

Thanks SparkyOne1 for the kind words, although I can assure you I'm no God :slight_smile:  I just enjoy fixing stuff!

willknot
New

hi, can i ask would this fix work with the three blinking lights. I have tried the factory reset and this has not worked.

profile.country.GB.title
Redrobbo1999
Explorer

Followed your advice and excellent results,hardest part was my local Maplins is closing down so went on line and ordered from RS components thanks again.

Paul.

profile.country.GB.title
megablst
Explorer

I just wanted to say I was experiencing exactly this issue with my folks sound bar. I followed the instructions, the capacitor was bulging, de-soldered it and put a new one in. All working fine now.

The only challenges I had were de-soldering the existing capacitor, I didn't seem to be able to get it hot enough to be able to remove the component. I got it out in the end but had to drill the holes with a 1mm drill to clear them. Soldering the new one in was simple.

I sourced the capacitors very easily from Amazon.

Thanks so much for this information, another sound bar saved!

profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

Glad you got it working!  A helpful tip for stubborn solder that won't melt:  Add solder to the tip of your iron and use that molten solder to melt the solder on your work.  Mixing the two will help a lot if your iron doesn't get very hot.  Some solder (especially on computer motherboards for some reason) is a real pain to get molten, even with an 800F iron. 

profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

You're welcome Paul!  Thanks for posting another success story!

profile.country.GB.title
AlgarveMike
Explorer

Hi Soughnie,

I took my sound bar apart (SA CT60). The capacitor you mentioned look OK but all the others looked domed! I took it to my local electrical shop. I asked him about the C914. He only had them in a larger size but confirmed what I thought about all the others. Have you come across this before? I wonder whether something else is wrong with my soundbar that has made them all go. I would appreciate your view.

profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

Honestly, I would not be surprised if the other capacitors were bulged or domed, especially if the soundbar has lots of hours on it.  The capacitor C914 just seems to be the first to fail from what we've seen.  Fortunately, capacitors are inexpensive and relatively easy to replace, and a DIY capacitor replacement will likely cost less than a new soundbar.  Make a list of the values and the dimensions (a digital caliper is handy for quick dimension measurements) and hit Amazon, eBay or Maplin for your replacement caps.  Good luck and keep us posted on your repair!

profile.country.GB.title
AlgarveMike
Explorer

I ended up replacing 7 capacitors. Started up OK but then there was a loud pop followed by smoke coming out of the soundbar. I think we can safely say if is now deceased, dead, kaput! 
Every cloud......I can buy a new one and add wireless rears :slight_smile: 
Thanks for your help. I suspect the problem was my hamfisted soldering. Still I only spent €3.75 so worth a go.

profile.country.GB.title
megablst
Explorer

One that didn't make it. Sounds like it went out in style though!

Sad face 😞