Join now - be part of our community!

SONY HT-CT60 Sound Bar

SOLVED
mifello36
New

SONY HT-CT60 Sound Bar

Hi. Hope somebody can help. Mum has a HT-CT60 sound bar connected to TV with optical cable. This has worked well for 12 months but had suddenly stopped working. I have changed the battery in the remote. When I press the power button on the remote, 2 lights on the sound bar illuminate briefly for a couple of seconds and then go off. No sound comes out as it seems that the unit is turning itself off immediately. Any suggestions?
85 REPLIES 85
profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

The loud pop was probably a capacitor installed backwards.  They swell up rapidly and explode when reverse polarity is applied to them.  It's probably not permanently damaged if you want to take another crack at it :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
AlgarveMike
Explorer

Yep, you are right. One was round the wrong way. Unfortunately another part of the board burnt out and looked beyond repair. It was worth a go and had I not made a mistake would have saved me cost of replacement. 
Thanks for your help.

DaveEv
New

Excellent solution Soughnie. Capacitor was domed as described and replaced.  1000 micro farad 35v cap inboard of C914 also domed and replaced too. Total cost less than a pound and 5 minutes to replace it. It too longer to remove and replace the case screws !

profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

I'm glad you got it working.  Thanks for the feedback, Dave!

profile.country.GB.title
Twills101
Explorer

My sound bar had the 2 lights power up then off , so after a bit of reading thought it was "up the dump " with it , then I stumbled upon your help - I ordered some replacement capacitors and even with my very limited electronic skills I managed to change out the old one and wow it's all working great -- just set your self an hour or so and take a few pictures for ref and take it slow and for the price of 50p we are up and running.

thank you sooooooooo great. Twills101 

profile.country.GB.title
HarryAneedshelp2
Explorer

I NEED HELP LOL. 

I have a CT 260H soundbar and one day it w turn on at all and wouldn't hasnt been turned on ever since. I did all of the troubleshooting tips then came across this page. Yall seem to be uber smart and hopefully can help me out. I don't have a C914 Capacitor but here is a pic of my circuit board. If yall have any tips please help thank you!IMG_1945.jpegIMG_1944.jpeg 

profile.country.GB.title
Derbywinner
Explorer

Have you checked that the tv is set to stero system. Go to tv menu, look at speakers, it should say tv or sound system, press on sound system. Mine sound bar some times stops working, and this is how i reset it. Hope this works for you. Ron.

@mifello36 wrote:
Hi. Hope somebody can help. Mum has a HT-CT60 sound bar connected to TV with optical cable. This has worked well for 12 months but had suddenly stopped working. I have changed the battery in the remote. When I press the power button on the remote, 2 lights on the sound bar illuminate briefly for a couple of seconds and then go off. No sound comes out as it seems that the unit is turning itself off immediately. Any suggestions?

@mifello36 wrote:

profile.country.GB.title
Soughnie

@HarryAneedshelp2 wrote:

I NEED HELP LOL. 

I have a CT 260H soundbar and one day it w turn on at all and wouldn't hasnt been turned on ever since. I did all of the troubleshooting tips then came across this page. Yall seem to be uber smart and hopefully can help me out. I don't have a C914 Capacitor but here is a pic of my circuit board. If yall have any tips please help thank you!IMG_1945.jpegIMG_1944.jpeg 

How about some pictures of the brown/tan colored board?  Take pictures of the underside of the board too if possible.  This will allow me to look for bad solder joints and point them out to you.

profile.country.GB.title
HarryAneedshelp2
Explorer

Sorry about the late response. Here is the back of the main board then I’ll post the brown one

Main boardMain board

Main boardMain board

68D7D344-4469-4A11-8A24-F568FAF0B360.jpeg

23DE9066-BD63-48C3-8833-AAE1AF3E1449.jpeg

61D12C4A-39E2-4585-ACC2-8EF9D73FEFA6.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
HarryAneedshelp2
Explorer

Thanks for replying but I have tried that with no success 😪